5 Tips to Most Effectively Help Medicare Customers
Finding the best Medicare Plan at the best cost for customers can be difficult. The amount of information about Medicare can seem overwhelming to customers, especially since it changes every year. This can also be frustrating for the agent. The good news is that you both have the same goal- finding the best coverage at the best price. Here are 5 tips that can help you when interacting with a Medicare customer.
- Don’t wait until the last minute! There’s nothing like rushing through important information that can frustrate you and make the customer uneasy. Recommend to your customers that they start the enrollment process earlier than they think they need to, to ensure the best possible outcome. On your end, don’t procrastinate in getting back to customers to help them. Give yourself extra time, as typically this can be stressful. Remind them they can always participate in the Annual Disenrollment Period, which is January 1st-February 14th of every year. However, it is always ideal to help them find the best plan the first time around.
Break Down the Basics
- As a professional, it is sometimes easy to forget that everyone does not know the basics. Break down the most basic part of Medicare for your customers to ensure they fully understand what they are signing up for. Go through all of the most popular plans; Parts A, B, D, F, and G. This will also instill confidence in your customer that you know what you are talking about. Also, explain to them the differences between Original Medicare, Medicare Advantage, and Medicare Supplement. Giving them the big picture of Medicare will help them to realize which plan will work best for them.
Be Honest with your Customer
- Only sell as much coverage as you client needs. It is always in both of your best interest to only sell them what they need. Some customers will want the “top of the line” coverage, when in actuality, they will be spending much more money than necessary for extra coverage they do not need. Explain to them how and why the plan you recommend is the best for them, and how they can save money by getting a plan that fits their specific needs. Evaluate each plan and determine how their specific situation would best be covered.
Pay Attention to Deatils
- While your customer is explaining their situation to you, take detailed notes. As you are going through the plans, you may see something that is vital to getting them the best coverage. Also, take not of the day and time you spoke with your client for future reference. Use whatever medium is best for you to take notes, either electronically or on paper. Create a system that makes sense to you to keep all of your customers organized.
Stay in Contact
- Your relationship with customers does not end once you have enrolled them in a plan. It is important to check in with your customers from time to time to ensure the coverage they have is still the best option for them. This also reassures them that you care about their care. Medicare changes from year to year, so when Annual Election Period rolls around again, get in touch with your previous clients to evaluate their plan. They will likely trust you and choose to work with you again if you have kept in contact throughout the year.