Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), is a neurological illness. It can affect both children and adults as it can occur at any age. It consists of deep fatigue, unrefreshing sleep, exercise intolerance, and “brain fog.” However, each case of CFS is unique and can cause the symptoms to vary in intensity.
Scientists have not yet discovered the specific cause of CFS, however, it is believed to be brought about by a combo of genetic and environmental factors. Since there is no current test to identify CFS, diagnosis is based solely on the patient’s reported symptoms and careful elimination of other causes.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Symptoms (DETAILED LOOK)
To be diagnosed with CFS, a patient needs to meet these three “core” symptoms:
- Lessened ability to perform activities. This drop in activity level needs to be accompanied with fatigue and must be experienced for the last six months or longer. Fatigue is a common feeling in most people, but CFS fatigue is:
- Not a result of difficult activity
- Not relieved by sleeping
- Was not a life-long problem
- Energy crashes after physical or mental activities that would not normally end with rest. For example, a grocery shopping trip causes an intense physical crash that requires a nap before driving home or the need for a ride.
- Sleep problems. After a full night of sleep, they do not feel better or less tired. They can have problems falling asleep or staying asleep.
There is no “cure” for chronic fatigue syndrome. Instead, treatment is focused on symptom relief through lifestyle changes, medicines, and therapies.
Symptoms can be improved with prescription or over-the-counter drugs. Counseling and sleep studies are recommended to combat emotional exhaustion and sleep inconsistencies. Reducing caffeine intake and changing bedtime routines may also help manage energy extremes.
We hope this information on chronic fatigue syndrome is helpful to you.
Empower Brokerage is dedicated to helping you educate your clients on the insurance they need and staying on top of their health. Whether it’s through webinar training, one-on-one calls, seminars, or marketing plans. We want you to be successful. Give us a call if you have any questions 888-539-1633.
Kayla is a graduate of Texas A&M University and joined the marketing team at Empower Brokerage in early 2021. She creates content for the company websites and assists with various marketing campaigns. LinkedIn Profile